Finding a Social Work Degree Program

As with many professions, education is the foundation for a career in social work. Selecting the appropriate social work degree program or a related degree program is imperative no mater what one's current academic attainment is.

Some states license baccalaureate educated social workers, however, their scope of practice may be quite limited as compared to that of a master's educated social worker licensed in the same state. Much of the decision weighs on what the prospective social worker or student would like to accomplish professionally and where that person is with their current academic attainment...

The USC Suzanne Dworak-Peck School of Social Work offers a CSWE-accredited online Master's in Social Work. This program is top-ranked by US News and World Report. The GRE is not required to apply to the [email protected] program. Bachelor's required. Learn more about this program.

Aspiring social workers can earn an MSW online from Simmons College in as few as 15 months. To be admitted to [email protected], candidates must hold a bachelor’s degree with a minimum 3.0 GPA from an accredited college or university. Request information.

[email protected] is the online Master of Social Work program from the top-20–ranked University of Denver Graduate School of Social Work (GSSW). The program is for students who earned a bachelor’s degree in a field other than social work. GRE scores are not required. Request information.

Capella University is now offering an online Master of Social Work that is in CSWE candidacy status. The MSW program helps prepare students to enter the general or clinical practice role (in most states). Capella also offers an online Doctor of Social Work. Click Here to contact Capella University about their Master of Social Work program or Doctor of Social Work program.

High School Students and Those with some College Education

A high school student will want to read this article "How to Become a Social Worker" to gain an understanding of the process and the importance of selecting a CSWE accredited bachelor's in social work program. Enrolling in a CSWE undergraduate social work program en route to a social work career is not required as long as the high school graduate understands that by pursuing a non-CSWE accredited undergraduate program will result in not being eligible for licensure as an LBSW, in states that do license baccalaureate level social workers, and that they will have to pursue a master's degree in social work that has been accredited by CSWE to be eligible for social work licensure.

Pursuing an undergraduate degree in another field is an option. Common bachelor's degree programs include human services, psychology, sociology, counseling and criminal justice. An undergraduate degree in one of these disciplines may provide more flexibility if one changes their mind down the line, deciding social work licensure and a career in the field is not for them. These programs can also provide a solid foundation for a CSWE accredited master's in social work program.

The high school graduate should understand that often fewer of the credits earned in a non-CSWE accredited program will transfer and count toward the master's in social work program credit hours. Read "Why Pursue a Bachelor's Degree in Social Work" to learn more about transfer credits and other relevant information pertaining to a BSW.

Click Here to search the CSWE Accredited Program Directory of bachelor's degrees in Social Work.

College Graduate with a Non-CSWE Accredited Degree

The person who has graduated with a 4-year degree in another field will need to pursue a CSWE accredited master's in social work program to be eligible for social work licensure. Read "Why Pursue a Master's in Social Work" to learn more about these programs and steps to take.

Sponsored Schools
usc msw