Vermont Social Work Licensure Requirements

Vermont’s Office of Professional Regulation regulates the state’s social workers. This is an evolving process. New laws (to go into effect in July 1, 2017) call for creation of a Licensed Master Social Worker designation. There will be additional changes in social worker requirements.

social work student

The clinical license is currently Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) but will become Licensed Independent Clinical Social Worker (LICSW) in 2017. The clinical license requires more than just education at the graduate level. There is also a licensing examination and a supervised practice requirement.

The USC Suzanne Dworak-Peck School of Social Work offers a CSWE-accredited online Master's in Social Work. This program is top-ranked by US News and World Report. The GRE is not required to apply to the [email protected] program. A Bachelor's degree is required Learn more about this program.

The Simmons College School of Social Work ([email protected]) is the nation’s oldest school of social work and is offering an innovative Online Master of Social Work program. You can complete this CSWE-accredited Master's in Social Work program in as little as 15 months. There is no GRE required for acceptance to this program. Request information.

[email protected] is the online Master of Social Work program from the top-20–ranked University of Denver Graduate School of Social Work (GSSW). The program is for students who earned a bachelor’s degree in a field other than social work. GRE scores are not required. Request information.

Capella University is now offering an online Master of Social Work that is in CSWE candidacy status. The MSW program helps prepare students to enter the general or clinical practice role (in most states). Capella also offers an online Doctor of Social Work. Click Here to contact Capella University about their Master of Social Work program or Doctor of Social Work program.

LCSW Requirements in Vermont

A prospective LCSW needs to enroll in a graduate program that is accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE).

You may also want to read the article "Master’s Degree in Social Work: Developing Skills and Competencies" if you have any questions about Master's of Social Work programs.

After graduation, the social worker candidate must put in 3,000 hours of supervised work experience. During this time, she or he is registered but not licensed; to be in compliance with state rules, the candidate needs to be entered on the state’s roster of nonlicensed psychotherapists. Beginning in 2017, though, the graduate may hold licensing as a Licensed Master Social Worker. (The Office can still accept hours accrued while on the roster.)

The social work trainee may be supervised by a licensed psychiatrist, psychologist, mental health counselor, or clinical social worker. Proposed rules call for one hour of face to face supervision for every 30 hours worked. At least half the direct supervision hours must be individual. The other hours may be in a group setting with up to eight trainees in attendance.

The supervisor will eventually fill out a report for the licensing agency, that will attest to the number of practice and supervision hours, describe the nature of supervision, evaluate the candidate, and make a recommendation for or against independent licensing.

Licensure also depends on passing a nationwide licensing exam. Currently, candidates take the clinical examination offered by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB). In the future, they may take two examinations en route to clinical licensure: first the ASWB master’s level examination, then the ASWB clinical examination. The prospective licensee must apply to Vermont OPR in order to receive testing authorization. At this point, he or she may schedule an exam with the ASWB. The exam is administered via computer and is available at sites around the country.

The Application Process

Application packets can be found on the OPR site (Click Here for links to the online application process and required forms). The application form includes professional fitness questions. There is an education verification form to be sent to the institution that granted the qualifying degree. Applications must be accompanied by a processing fee. (The examination process will incur additional fees, payable to the ASWB.)

A candidate who is licensed or certified elsewhere will need to have a form filled out by his or her state licensing agency. If licensed on the basis of similar requirements (a graduate degree, examination, and two years of supervised experience) he or she may apply for what the Board terms “license without examination”. Beginning in 2017, there may be multiple eligibility pathways for out-of-state licensees, with professionals who have held licensing for at least five years (and who meet minimum standards for active practice) exempt from some requirements.

License Maintenance

LCSW licenses must be renewed every two years. Licensees are responsible for completing 20 contact hours of continuing education during this period. Continuing education is not required, however, during the social worker’s first licensing period.

Social Work Licensing and Regulation Board & Professional Resources in Vermont

If you are still in High School, hold a High School Diploma/GED, or hold a bachelor's degree, check out suggested steps to take along the path to become a Social Worker in Vermont.

Vermont’s Office of Professional Regulation

NASW – Vermont

Sponsored Schools
usc msw