Wyoming Social Work Licensure Requirements

In Wyoming, the social work profession is regulated by the Mental Health Professions Licensing Board. A social worker may be either certified or licensed, depending on educational level. A Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) has completed a graduate degree as well as post-master supervision. While completing practice requirements, he or she is credentialed as a Provisional Clinical Social Worker, or PCSW. A Certified Social Worker (CSW) has education at the baccalaureate level.

social worker with patient

Professionals with any of these credentials may engage in clinical social work. However, those at the lower levels need Board-approved clinical supervision.

CSW Requirements in Wyoming

A prospective CSW begins the journey by enrolling in a bachelor’s program accredited by the Council on Social Work Education.

After graduation, he or she applies to the Wyoming Board. The person can do this before he or she has a position – a supervision agreement will be required for work, but can be sent later.

The candidate may begin clinical work before all steps of the certification process are complete – but not before the Board notifies the candidate that he or she is eligible. If the application is in order, the Board will notify the candidate that the grace period has begun. However, he or she will need to become certified within six months to continue to work. This entails passing a national exam.

The prospective social worker may opt for either the baccalaureate or master’s level exam. Both are administered by the Association of Social Work Boards.

The certification fee is $300. This does not include the fee for examination.

The CSW must work under clinical and administrative supervision for the duration of the time that CSW holds this credential.

LCSW Requirements in Wyoming

The first step toward LCSW licensure is completion of a CSWE-accredited graduate program.

The USC Suzanne Dworak-Peck School of Social Work offers a CSWE-accredited online Master's in Social Work. This program is top-ranked by US News and World Report. The GRE is not required to apply to the [email protected] program. A Bachelor's degree is required Learn more about this program.

The Simmons College School of Social Work ([email protected]) is the nation’s oldest school of social work and is offering an innovative Online Master of Social Work program. You can complete this CSWE-accredited Master's in Social Work program in as little as 15 months. There is no GRE required for acceptance to this program. Request information.

[email protected] is the online Master of Social Work program from the top-20–ranked University of Denver Graduate School of Social Work (GSSW). The program is for students who earned a bachelor’s degree in a field other than social work. GRE scores are not required. Request information.

Capella University is now offering an online Master of Social Work that is in CSWE candidacy status. The MSW program helps prepare students to enter the general or clinical practice role (in most states). Capella also offers an online Doctor of Social Work. Click Here to contact Capella University about their Master of Social Work program or Doctor of Social Work program.

You may also want to read the article "Master’s Degree in Social Work: Developing Skills and Competencies" if you have any questions about Master's of Social Work programs.

After graduation, the candidate will seek credentialing as a PCSW. This will entail submitting an application and requesting supplemental materials such as transcripts. The applicant will also need to submit a $150 fee.

While licensed as a PCSW, the social worker must accrue at least 3,000 hours of work experience. A minimum of 1,200 must be direct clinical client hours. The PCSW will need 100 hours of direct supervision during this time. Supervision must be individual or triadic (no more than one other supervisee in attendance).

The social worker will need to take either the clinical or advanced generalist exam before the LCSW credential can be issued – the social worker may attempt the exam as soon as the provisional license has been issued. Up to three examination attempts are permitted under normal circumstances.

The provisional license may be extended when the individual demonstrates good cause. The social worker will be expected to have completed either the experience or examination requirement. If he or she isn’t finished accruing the supervision hours, he or she may be granted an extension of up to three years. If he or she has fulfilled this requirement, but has not yet passed the exam, they may be granted an extension of up to six months.

The social worker will pay a $200 fee to convert the provisional license to a clinical one.

The Application Process

Application packets are found on the Board site (Click Here for the application forms). The candidate will need official transcripts. Three professional references are also required. It is not necessary to send additional references when converting from provisional to clinical. However, an out-of-state candidate who applies for a reciprocal license will need to supply them.

All supplemental materials should be sent directly from the individual or institution.

The renewal period for CSWs and LCSWs is every two years. Among the requirements: 45 contact hours of continuing education.

Social Work Licensing Board and Professional Organizations in WY

If you are still in High School, hold a High School Diploma/GED, or hold a bachelor's degree, check out suggested steps to take along the path to become a Social Worker in Wyoming.

Mental Health Professions Licensing Board

NASW – Wyoming

Sponsored Schools
usc msw