Online Social Work Programs in Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth University
Virginia Commonwealth University is one of the nation's premier research colleges offering an online master of social work. VCU's School of Social Work is the first of its kind in the South. In Virginia, only Richmond's VCU and one other institution offers bachelor's, master's, and doctoral degrees in social work. The School of Social Work provides students with the curriculum, field experiences, and research experiences that equip them to inspire change through social and economic justice in their communities.
The school also partners with more than 500 human and social service organizations in the Virginia and Washington, D.C., metro area to give learners field experiences that match their areas of interest.
Virginia Commonwealth University's Online Master of Social Work
- Concentrations: The program offers two concentrations: clinical social work practice and social work administration, planning, and policy practice.
- Credits and Courses: Each student must complete a total of 42 credits. The program delivers its MSW using a blend of asynchronous and synchronous classes, with the bulk of coursework completed online. The school also offers an advanced standing option in the same format.
- Completion Time: A full-time student can finish the online MSW in two years. A part-time student has up to four years to complete the program, and an advanced standing student with a CSWE-accredited BSW can complete the program in one year.
- Field Education: Each enrollee must complete 900 hours minimum of field placement. VCU's Field Education Department helps students find field placements that meet school and CSWE standards.
- Exam Preparation: This program prepares students for the Association of Social Work Boards' licensed clinical social worker exam.
- Transfer Policies: Student can transfer up to 30 generalist credits from another CSWE-accredited social work master's program.
- Online Student Support: Students can work with peer mentors and student success advisors. They receive access to resources like podcasts, recorded therapy sessions, and websites outlining the latest research in relevant areas.
- Admission Requirements: Regular and advanced standing prospective students must achieve a minimum 3.0 GPA for admission consideration.
Virginia Commonwealth University is regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC). Virginia Commonwealth University's social work programs are CSWE-accredited.