Online Social Work Programs in South Dakota
University of South Dakota
Founded in 1862, the University of South Dakota sits on a 274-acre campus in Vermillion. The school offers 198 undergraduate and 78 graduate programs. USD students can take classes online or at off-site centers in Sioux Falls, Rapid City, and Pierre.
USD's School of Health Sciences offers a master of social work degree that prepares students to work with kids, families, and public agencies. One of the top social work programs in South Dakota, this degree provides two tracks: one for students with a bachelor's in social work degree from a CSWE-accredited program and one for students without a social work degree. Students graduate with the skills to conduct social work research, advocacy, crisis intervention, community outreach, and case management.
USD Online’s Master of Social Work
- Concentrations: The University of South Dakota social work program offers an advanced standing track and a regular standing track. The regular standing track suits students without a bachelor's degree from a CSWE-accredited social work program. The advanced track is designed for students who hold a CSWE-accredited social work degree.
- Credits and Courses: Students enrolled in the regular standing track must complete 60 credits, divided over 18 courses. Students in the advanced standing track must complete 36 credits over 11 courses.
- Completion Time: Typically, full-time students enrolled in the advanced standing track complete the online master of social work degree in three semesters, or less than two years. Full-time students in the regular standing track take about two years, or five semesters, to complete their degree.
- Field Education: Students with regular standing must complete 900 hours of field work. Advanced standing students must complete 500 hours of field work. Students do not need to complete a thesis.
- Other Requirements: Applicants must submit an online application, a statement of purpose, a cover letter and resume, three letters of recommendation, and a 3-5-page paper discussing their interest in specific social justice issues.
- Exam Preparation: This degree prepares students for the Licensed Social Work Associate (LSWA), Licensed Social Worker (LSW), Certified Social Worker (CSW) and Certified Independent Practice Social Worker (CIPSW) exams.
- Online Student Support: Online students can access the college's One Search library catalog and digital collections. Learners can also contact a librarian through the chat feature.
- Cost: $336/credit in-state; $647/credit out-of-state.
- Admission Requirements: Applicants need a minimum 3.0 GPA. No GRE or MAT scores are required.
The University of South Dakota is regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) of the North Central Association (NCA) of Colleges and School. The University of South Dakota's online social work programs are CSWE-accredited.