Online Social Work Programs in Nevada
University of Nevada Reno
UNR's social work department offers an online MSW degree. Founded in 1874, this public research institution serves approximately 21,700 students. The social work program prides itself on producing ethical social work leaders with the ability to work with diverse communities and underserved populations. The department subscribes to an advanced generalist practice curriculum that prepares graduates for a wide variety of careers in the field. Many alums move on to occupations as collaborative professionals in areas such as medicine, business, education, and public health. All students who possess a bachelor's degree in any field may apply.
UNR's Master of Social Work
- Concentrations: The program offers an advanced generalist studies concentration.
- Credits and Courses: Advanced standing distance students complete 32 credits for the master's degree. MSW students without a BSW, or traditional program learners, need to complete 62 credits. Foundational classes for each track include structural oppression, social work methods for groups, and theoretical perspectives on human behavior.
- Completion Time: Advanced standing full-time students usually finish the online MSW in 15 months or four consecutive semesters. Traditional MSW students take up to eight semesters to complete coursework and requirements.
- Field Education: All students complete four hands-on practicums.
- Exam Preparation: This program prepares students for the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) exam.
- Online Student Support: Online students take advantage of academic advising, information technology, student organizations, and professional career coaching.
- Cost: $350/credit in-state; $700/credit out-of-state.
- Admission Requirements: Incoming students should have at least a 3.0 GPA or a 3.25 GPA in their last 60 hours. Applicants without a social work bachelor's degree need a history of substantial liberal arts training and coursework in statistics and research methods. Interested learners do not need to submit their GRE scores.
University of Nevada Reno is regionally accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU). University of Nevada Reno's online social work programs are accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE).