Online Social Work Programs in Maine
St. Joseph's College of Maine
A Catholic, liberal arts college, SJC offers more than 40 undergraduate and graduate programs. Located in Standish, Maine, St. Joseph's 474-acre campus features views of the White Mountains and a nearby lake. Founded by the Portland Regional Community of the Sisters of Mercy of the Americas in 1912, SJC offers several online programs, including a bachelor of social work degree.
This social work degree prepares students for professional social work licensure in most states. SJC's social work degree follows a cohort model, in which a team of 10-15 students begin and end the program together on specific dates.
St. Joseph's Bachelor of Social Work Degree
- Concentrations: This social work degree offers a social service profession minor.
- Credits and Courses: Learners must earn 128 credits to graduate with a bachelor's degree, and the social work degree requires 54 major credits. The program provides flexible asynchronous classes, allowing students to study at any time.
- Completion Time: Program length depends on several factors, including how many courses a student completes each period. This program involves cohort learning, in which a team of students completes assignments in 10-week periods.
- Field Education: Degree candidates must complete a year-long seminar involving coursework, a field evaluation, a final paper, and two internships.
- Other Requirements: This program also requires the completion of two courses: introduction to psychology and principles of sociology. To graduate, students must earn a minimum 2.5 GPA.
- Transfer Policies: Degree candidates must earn at least 25% of required program credits at SJC and 18 credits within the major. Learners may transfer up to 95 credits from accredited colleges or universities.
- Online Student Support: Special services provided to distance learners include personal advisement and online tutoring.
- Cost: $345/credit.
- Admission Requirements: Applicants without previous college experience must submit official high school transcripts demonstrating a minimum 2.0 GPA. Candidates with completed college coursework must send official transcripts and hold a cumulative minimum 2.0 undergraduate GPA.
St. Joseph's College of Maine is regionally accredited by the New England Commission on Higher Education (NECHE). St. Joseph's College of Maine's online social work programs are CSWE-accredited.
University of Maine
Located in Orono, Maine along the banks of the Stillwater River, UMaine remains the flagship campus of the University of Maine System, a network of public state universities. A land and sea grant institution founded in 1865, this institution offers more than 100 programs, including undergraduate and graduate social work degrees. UMaine's school of social work enrolls about 270 undergraduate and graduate students.
Over the past seven years, school of social work graduates earned higher overall pass rates than the national average in both the licensed clinical social worker and licensed master's social worker exams.
UMaine's Master of Social Work Degree
- Concentrations: This program offers a concentration in advanced generalist social work practice.
- Credits and Courses: This hybrid/online program requires 63 credits. Distance learners complete mostly asynchronous classes, but this master's degree also requires synchronous, in-person classes. Learners must meet with other students two Saturdays per semester.
- Completion Time: Degree candidates in the hybrid/online program can graduate in three years, while learners with advanced standing can complete the degree in just two years.
- Field Education: Students enrolled in the master's program complete two semesters of field experience, totaling 400 hours, 16 hours per week. As part of the specialization curriculum, learners complete at least 500 hours, 20 hours per week, of field experience.
- Exam Preparation: The program prepares learners to qualify for social work licensure exams.
- Transfer Policies: UMaine accepts transfer credits earned from other CSWE-accredited programs within the past 5 years. Students must receive written approval for more than six transfer credits, and they must demonstrate a "B" grade or higher in all transferable coursework.
- Online Student Support: Distance learners receive access to online student support, including advising, library resources, and writing tutors.
- Cost: $450/credit in-state; $1,466/credit out-of-state.
- Admission Requirements: Applicants must hold a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution and a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA. They must have completed at least six social and behavioral sciences courses with a "C" grade or better in an introductory statistics or research methods course. They should hold experience related to social welfare or human services. UMaine does not require GRE test scores.
The University of Maine is regionally accredited by the New England Commission of Higher Education (NECHE). The University of Maine's online social work programs are CSWE-accredited.
University of New England
A private university founded in 1831, UNE ranks 159th among the best online graduate education programs and 137th among best schools for social work, according to U.S. News & World Report. The university operates from two campuses in Biddeford and Portland, Maine. UNE's School of Social Work provides many pathways for a master's in social work, including an online master of social work delivered through UNE Online.
This Maine social work institution promotes social inclusion and enhanced quality of life for individuals and communities, according to the school of social work's mission.
UNE Online's Master of Social Work Degree
- Concentrations: This social work program offers concentrations in clinical, community, and integrated practice.
- Credits and Courses: Students must earn 64 credits through asynchronous classes, including 32 credits in generalist coursework and 32 in their specialization. Learners with advanced standing may graduate with only 35 credits.
- Completion Time: Distance learners may complete the degree in just over three years. Students may begin eight week courses at any of three enrollment periods per year.
- Field Education: Learners must complete two field practicums, each totaling 560 hours. Advanced-standing degree candidates only need to fulfill one field practicum.
- Transfer Policies: Students must earn a "C-" grade or higher in transferable courses.
- Online Student Support: Distance learners receive many support services, including access to library services, academic and employment support, and 24-hour technical support.
- Cost: $950/credit.
- Admission Requirements: Applicants must hold a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution and a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA. Candidates must submit official transcripts, a resume, and two recommendation forms.
The University of New England is regionally accredited by the New England Commission of Higher Education (NECHE). The University of New England's online social work programs are CSWE-accredited.