Online Social Work Programs in Connecticut
Sacred Heart University
With its main campus located in Fairfield, Connecticut, Sacred Heart University (SHU) also runs satellite campuses in Stamford and Griswold, as well as international campuses in Ireland and Luxembourg. SHU offers a fully online master of social work in addition to in-person bachelor's and master's degree options. SHU's social work faculty boasts a diverse range of specialties, including child welfare, nonprofit management, grief and loss, trauma, community-based practice, and crisis intervention. The program emphasizes close student-faculty relationships through one-on-one mentorship, modeling, and active classroom participation both on campus and online.
SHU's Online Master of Social Work
- Concentrations: Students may select concentrations in direct clinical practice or direct community practice.
- Credits and Courses: 60 credits are required for graduation, and are divided between 20 courses for students completing the fully online program as opposed to the advanced standing track, which requires 30 credits spread between 10 courses. All courses run asynchronously over 15 weeks.
- Completion Time: Full-time students can earn their MSW in as little as two years, while part-time students can complete the program in 3-4 years. Advanced students who enter the program with a recent bachelor's in social work from a CSWE-accredited institution and a minimum 3.0 GPA may complete the program in as little as 20 months.
- Field Education: 1,100 hours. Field liaisons assist students in securing placements. Students who do not live in Connecticut must research potential field sites in their area and submit three options for their liaison to review. Liaisons will match Connecticut-based students with placement sites.
- Other Requirements: Students must write a capstone paper to graduate.
- Exam Preparation: The program prepares students to sit for the Licensed Master of Social Work exam in Connecticut.
- Online Student Support: SHU gives online students access to resources such as workshops and individualized technology consultations.
- Cost: $790/credit
- Admission Requirements: Bachelor's degree with a minimum 3.0 GPA. GRE/GMAT scores are not required. Students applying for advanced standing need a recent bachelor of social work and a minimum 3.0 GPA, both major-specific and overall.
Sacred Heart University is regionally accredited by the New England Commission of Higher Education (NECHE). Sacred Heart University's online social work program is CSWE-accredited.